Exercise Intolerance; A Training Guide for Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Exercise Intolerance,
- Exercise Limitations,
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation,
- Exercise Training
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a common obstructive lung disease; the sequelae and severity of the disease can deteriorate physical capacity and quality of life. Exercise training is a central component of the therapeutic intervention in COPD. However, exercise prescription to COPD is a challenging strategy to overcome exercise limitations in COPD. This paper aims to explore several modes of exercises to improve exercise tolerance in patients with COPD.
- Aliverti, A., and P. T. Macklem. 2001. 'How and why exercise is impaired in COPD', Respiration, 68: 229-39.
- Aliverti, Andrea, and Peter T. Macklem. 2008. 'The major limitation to exercise performance in COPD is an inadequate energy supply to the respiratory and locomotor muscles', Journal of Applied Physiology, 105: 749-51.
- Bjorgen, S., J. Hoff, V. S. Husby, M. A. Hoydal, A. E. Tjonna, S. Steinshamn, R. S. Richardson, and J. Helgerud. 2009. 'Aerobic high intensity one and two legs interval cycling in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: the sum of the parts is greater than the whole', Eur J Appl Physiol, 106: 501-7.
- Chester, E. H., M. J. Belman, R. C. Bahler, G. L. Baum, G. Schey, and P. Buch. 1977. 'Multidisciplinary treatment of chronic pulmonary insufficiency. 3. The effect of physical training on cardiopulmonary performance in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease', Chest, 72: 695-702.
- Debigaré, Richard, and François Maltais. 2008. 'The major limitation to exercise performance in COPD is lower limb muscle dysfunction', Journal of Applied Physiology, 105: 751-53.
- Global Initiative For Obstructive Lung Disease. 2018. 'Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease', Accessed 22 April, 2019. www.goldcopd.org/.
- Hsieh, Meng?Jer, Chou?Chin Lan, Ning?Hung Chen, Chung?Chi Huang, Yao?Kuang Wu, Hsio?Ying Cho, and Ying?Huang Tsai. 2007. 'Effects of high?intensity exercise training in a pulmonary rehabilitation programme for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease', Respirology, 12: 381-88.
- Kortianou, E. A., I. G. Nasis, S. T. Spetsioti, A. M. Daskalakis, and I. Vogiatzis. 2010. 'Effectiveness of Interval Exercise Training in Patients with COPD', Cardiopulm Phys Ther J, 21: 12-9.
- Lozano, Rafael, Mohsen Naghavi, Kyle Foreman, Stephen Lim,. 2012. 'Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010', The Lancet, 380: 2095-128.
- MacInnis, M. J., and M. J. Gibala. 2017. 'Physiological adaptations to interval training and the role of exercise intensity', J Physiol, 595: 2915-30.
- Maltais, F., P. LeBlanc, J. Jobin, C. Berube, J. Bruneau, L. Carrier, M. J. Breton, G. Falardeau, and R. Belleau. 1997. 'Intensity of training and physiologic adaptation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease', Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 155: 555-61.
- Mcardle, William D., Victor L. Katch, and Frank I. Katch. 2015. Exercise physiology : nutrition, energy, and human performance (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia).
- Mathers, C. D., and D. Loncar. 2006. 'Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030', PLoS Med, 3: e442.
- Nasis, I., E. Kortianou, Mu Vasilopoulou, S. Spetsioti, Z. Louvaris, G. Kaltsakas, C. H. Davos, S. Zakynthinos, N. G. Koulouris, and I. Vogiatzis. 2015. 'Hemodynamic effects of high intensity interval training in COPD patients exhibiting exercise-induced dynamic hyperinflation', Respir Physiol Neurobiol, 217: 8-16.
- O'Donnell, D. E., and P. Laveneziana. 2006. 'Physiology and consequences of lung hyperinflation in COPD', European Respiratory Review, 15: 61-67.
- O'Donnell, D. E., and K. A. Webb. 2008. 'The major limitation to exercise performance in COPD is dynamic hyperinflation', J Appl Physiol (1985), 105: 753-5; discussion 55-7.
- Puhan, M. A., G. Busching, H. J. Schunemann, E. VanOort, C. Zaugg, and M. Frey. 2006. 'Interval versus continuous high-intensity exercise in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized trial', Ann Intern Med, 145: 816-25.
- Rabe, Klaus F., Suzanne Hurd, Antonio Anzueto, Peter J. Barnes, Sonia A. Buist, Peter Calverley, Yoshinosuke Fukuchi, Christine Jenkins, Roberto Rodriguez-Roisin, Chris van Weel, and Jan Zielinski. 2007. 'Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease', American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 176: 532-55.
- Rochester, C. L. 2003. 'Exercise training in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease', J Rehabil Res Dev, 40: 59-80.
- Sabapathy, S., R. A. Kingsley, D. A. Schneider, L. Adams, and N. R. Morris. 2004. 'Continuous and intermittent exercise responses in individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease', Thorax, 59: 1026-31.
- Sietsema, K. 2001. 'Cardiovascular limitations in chronic pulmonary disease', Med Sci Sports Exerc, 33: S656-61.
- Spruit, M. A., S. J. Singh, C. Garvey, R. ZuWallack, L. Nici, C. Rochester, K. Hill, A. E. Holland, S. C. Lareau, W. D. Man, F. Pitta, L. Sewell, J. Raskin, J. Bourbeau, R. Crouch, F. M. Franssen, R. Casaburi, J. H. Vercoulen, I. Vogiatzis, R. Gosselink, E. M. Clini, T. W. Effing, F. Maltais, J. van der Palen, T. Troosters, D. J. Janssen, E. Collins, J. Garcia-Aymerich, D. Brooks, B. F. Fahy, M. A. Puhan, M. Hoogendoorn, R. Garrod, A. M. Schols, B. Carlin, R. Benzo, P. Meek, M. Morgan, M. P. Rutten-van Molken, A. L. Ries, B. Make, R. S. Goldstein, C. A. Dowson, J. L. Brozek, C. F. Donner, E. F. Wouters, and Ats Ers Task Force on Pulmonary Rehabilitation. 2013. 'An official American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society statement: key concepts and advances in pulmonary rehabilitation', Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 188: e13-64.
- Thomas, M., M. Decramer, D. E. O'Donnell, and D. E. O'Donnell. 2013. 'No room to breathe: the importance of lung hyperinflation in COPD', Prim Care Respir J, 22: 101-11.
- Tzani, P., M. Aiello, D. Elia, L. Boracchia, E. Marangio, D. Olivieri, E. Clini, and A. Chetta. 2011. 'Dynamic hyperinflation is associated with a poor cardiovascular response to exercise in COPD patients', Respir Res, 12: 150.
- Vogiatzis, I., S. Nanas, C. Roussos, and C. Roussos. 2002. 'Interval training as an alternative modality to continuous exercise in patients with COPD', Eur Respir J, 20: 12-9.